The best way to keep your DVR or your PC working properly is to perform periodic preventative maintenance.
The greatest threat to any computer is heat. Since a DVR runs 24 hours a day, every day, the heat buildup is significant. Most DVR’s operate in inhospitable environments and are not maintained in accordance with their user manuals. This neglect shortens the unit’s life and thus results in costly downtime.
The first item to go is the computer power supply because the fan that cools the power supply eventually becomes inundated with dirt and dust. This condition will cause the video capture card and the motherboard to overheat and burn out as well. A typical hard drive, running 24X7x365 should last 18-24 months.
To maximize the life of your PC & DVR remember to do the following:
- Keep the PC & DVR in a cool, dust free, grease free place.
- Keep up with Windows Updates.
- Maintain up to date Anti Virus & Anti Spyware Software and run scans routinely.
- Perform routine disk clean up and disk defragmentation.
- Perform semi-annual inspections.